Oof. A fellowship director no less. Comment below provides “the rest of the story.”
Notice is hereby given that ORI and the Assistant Secretary for Health have taken final action in the following case:
Based on information that the Respondent volunteered to his former mentor on November 7, 2006, and detailed in a written admission on September 19, 2007, and ORI’s review of Joint Inquiry and Investigation reports by Harvard Medical School (HMS) and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH), the US PHS found that Dr. Robert B. Fogel, former Assistant Professor of Medicine and Associate Physician at HMS, and former Co-Director of the Fellowship in Sleep Medicine at BWH, engaged in scientific misconduct in research supported by awards P50HL60292, R01HL48531, K23HL04400, F32HL10246, and M01RR02635 [GCRC-writedit].
PHS found that Respondent engaged in scientific misconduct by falsifying and fabricating baseline data published in Fogel,RB et al. Anatomic and physiologic predictors of apnea severity in morbidly obese subjects. Sleep 2003;2:150-155 and in a preliminary abstract reporting on this work. Specifically, PHS found that for the data reported in the Sleep paper, the Respondent:
- Changed/falsified roughly half of the physiologic data
- Fabricated roughly 20% of the anatomic data that were supposedly obtained from CT images
- Changed/falsified 50-80% of the other anatomic data
- Changed/falsified roughly 40-50% of the sleep data so that those data would better conform to his hypothesis.
- Respondent also published some of the falsified and fabricated data in an abstract in Sleep 24, Abstract Supplement A7, 2001.